August 8th was the first day of an entirely new decade in my life. The big 2 0. Twenty years old! That’s T W E N T Y years old! It seems unreal and almost like the end of an era. 19 was that awkward in-between year, kind of like 9, 12 or 17; the ages that come right before the more “monumental” ages (according to society and cultural norms that is). In all actuality, every age is “monumental” in its own right. Each age comes with its own challenges and in those, its own lessons! These are the ones I learned at 19:
1. You can either let the day run you, or you can run the day.
2. It isn’t who you are that holds you back, but who you think you’re not.
3. Happiness isn’t measured according to your circumstance, but by your attitude towards your circumstance.
4. You are your own worst enemy.
5. Blessings can be disguised as burdens.
6. It is better to choose significance over prominence.
7. Comparison is the thief of contentment.
8. Say what you mean, and live what you say. Otherwise, say nothing.
9. If it sounds too good to be true, it isn’t. 😛
10. The longer you spend doing the wrong thing, the longer it’ll take to get to the right thing.
11. No one can be better at being you, than you.
12. There is only one ultimate truth, but two ways to learn it; Experience or Listening
13. It’s okay to not have it all together all of the time!
14. Growth is inevitable.
15. It’s the little things in life that matter (:
16. Sometimes, you get into periods in life in which you can’t be understood by others.
17. Old habits get increasingly harder to discontinue the older you get -.-
18. When you don’t have anyone to look up to, it might be because you’re that person for someone else.
19. For something that can be so hard to do, letting go is so freeing!
Learned something in your 19th year that you didn’t see here? Please share your piece of wisdom with others below!